Periodic testing of your alarm system with the monitoring centre is critical in ensuring your system is operating properly and signals are been received by the security company. In addition to identifying any potential issues, testing your alarm system by notifying the monitoring centre will reduce the amount of unnecessary dispatching of Armed Response services, making them ready available for real emergency situations.
There are two types of tests to perform: testing signals within your home and testing the signal from your home to the monitoring centre.
Please be sure to notify any armed response and monitoring centres before testing.
Testing signals within your home (i.e., door and window contacts, and motion detectors)
- Verify that the system is in READY mode. Make sure you do not arm it!
- Open each protected door or window, one at a time.
- Check that the keypad displays the door or window you are testing is open.
- Close each door or window that you are testing. The keypad should display that they are closed.
- Repeat this procedure for each sensor in the system.
Testing the signal transmission to the Monitoring Centre.
- Call the Monitoring Centre and ask that your system is placed in the TEST mode. This will prevent an unintended dispatch call to authorities. You may be required to give your password to the operator to do this.
- Arm your system as usual and set it off by opening a door or window, or by tripping a motion detector.
- Allow the alarm to sound for at least one minute.
- Turn off your system and reset it to READY mode.
- Call the Monitoring Centre to verify that the signal was received by the Monitoring Centre and then take your system off the TEST mode.
In the event signals are not received by the monitoring centre, further troubleshooting by your security firm is recommended to ensure any potential issues are resolved.
By testing your alarm regularly, we can ensure that Chubb provides you with the most comprehensive and efficient services possible. If you want more information on testing your alarm, call us on 0861 002 211, or visit www.chubb.co.za.